Tuesday, July 28, 2020

CBS Radio Mystery Theater: "A Christmas Carol" (December 24, 1975) - Part 4

E.G. Marshall (at far right) sets the mood.


A few words about the CBS Radio Mystery Theater (CBSRMT) broadcast of "A Christmas Carol" and the show in general..

Back when the show aired, I was (and still am!) a big fan of Old-Time Radio, but it was not easy to listen to old shows, so this new one was pretty fun.



One of my favorite old shows is "Suspense" and I was fortunate to have a few episodes on records and cassette tapes. I never would have imagined that there'd be a point in the future when you could listen to virtually any episode by clicking a mouse!


Himan Brown is in charge!

CBSRMT reminded me a bit of "Suspense," but I realize now that it's more like "Inner Sanctum," a show I had heard of, but had not heard back then, which makes sense as the Himan Brown, the guru behind CBSRMT was he creator of "Inner Sanctum," which enjoyed a long radio run.



The CBSRMT opening includes the "Inner Sanctum" trademark creaking door and E.G. Marshall's sardonic introductions are reminiscent of Raymond, the longtime "Inner Sanctum" host.



"Inner Sanctum" the radio show was so popular, it even spawned a movie series from Universal Pictures in the mid-1940s starring Lon Chaney, Jr. (with his little mustache that Larry Talbot sported in "House of Dracula (1945)!)!

I find it hard to believe at times that CBSRMT was at its peak 40-odd years ago, but the shows it hearkened back to were 30-odd years old. It throws my whole perspective off, like how more time has passed since Marty McFly went into the past (35 years) than the amount of time he went back (30 years). You know what I mean?

I tend to lean towards vintage stuff, so these days I like to listen to radio shows from the original golden age (1930s-1950s)  rather than later variations from the 1970s and beyond.

I do appreciate that CBSRMT helped keep the tradition alive, however, and I know it has its devotees.

I remember hearing the broadcast of "A Christmas Carol" way back when, although I'm not sure exactly when, as it was rerun every year that the show was on.

I like this production well enough, but it would never be a go-to version for me.

I think E.G. Marshall does a good job, but as had mentioned earlier, I think he's way better than the supporting cast.

I don't care for the Bob Cratchit characterization here. The delivery is very odd and the character just seems weird. The same for Mr. Grimes, the poulterer. Maybe it's the same actor?

I'm not a huge fan of Marley's Ghost here, either.

I think Fred is OK, but his wife sounds old. Just odd.

I think the Ghost of Christmas Past is really good and the Ghost of Christmas Present does have a certain... presence!

It's a bit of a different take, but I'm glad CBSRMT gave it a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment