Thursday, June 18, 2020

"Scrooged" (1988) - Part 1



"Scrooged" (1988)
Director: Richard Donner
Scrooge: Buddy Hackett
Scrooge Surrogate: "Frank Cross" (Bill Murray)

The direct-to-video special "A Sesame Street Christmas Carol" (2006) reminded me more than anything of the 1988 Bill Murray vehicle "Scrooged."

That may seem like an odd connection, but they both take the basic framework of "A Christmas Carol" with a Scrooge surrogate in (apparent) need of redemption.

"Scrooged" was something of a big deal back in the day, as it marked Bill Murray's first starring comedy since "Ghostbusters" (1984). Those four years must have seem an eternity to the suits, as Bill Murray was a hot commodity not being used.

Here's the trailer to set the mood:



Cutting to the chase, I was looking forward to this release at the time, but I felt disappointed. I hadn't seen it since, so would I be surprised that the movie is better than I remembered?

Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment