Monday, March 1, 2021

"Scrooge" - Roye Goodrich with the Holidays (1952) - Part 2



If you got a chance to listen to King Records' 1952 release of "Scrooge" by Roye Goodrich with the Holidays, I hope you liked it!

Finding little obscure gems like that really scratches an itch for me!

Here's what "Billboard" Magazine said about this release in its November 22, 1952 issue:



I don't know anything about Roye Goodrich, but he sounds very 1952 on this record!

They seemed to be going for the big pre-rock type sound I associate with Columbia Records and the productions of Mitch Miller and Ray Conniff.

He reminds me of somebody? Don Cherry, maybe?

"Billboard" nails it with this review from the August 22, 1952 issue of an earlier Rooye Goodrich release:



It actually surprised me a bit to hear this style on a record from King, as I associate them with country artists like Moon Mullican and Hawkshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Copas, as that's what they're best-remembered for these days.

In any event, it doesn't seem that Roye Goodrich's career never really went anywhere. It was probably already stalled out, but the emergence of rock and roll put his type of singing out of business.

For fun, here's Roye with the overdone "Jungle Drums":



No comments:

Post a Comment