Saturday, March 6, 2021

"I'll Begin Again" - Tony Bennett (1971)



"I'll Begin Again" (1971)
Tony Bennett 
Columbia Records

Another song from Leslie Bricusse's score from the 1970 movie musical "Scrooge" to get some other recordings is "I'll Begin Again," the song that Albert Finney sings/croaks toward the end of the film.

Tony Bennett had a single of the tune on Columbia Records in 1971.

Give it a listen:



I think this song suits Tony very well. He had already become more of a song stylist by this point, not exactly talk-singing, but sort of. Hard to believe this was 50 years ago and he only just retired.

I saw that he recently revealed that he's been battling Alzheimer's Disease for a few years. I hope he gets to enjoy retirement for a while. He's pleased a lot of people for a lot of years!

There were also versions of "I'll Begin Again" by Sammy Davis, Jr. on MGM Records and Jim Nabors, Tony Bennett's Columbia labelmate. 



Tony's version of was also included on his "Love Story" album à la Henry Mancini and "Love Story" was the flipside of the single. "Love Story" was a minor hit for Tony.

The "adult contemporary" artists of the day did a lot of the same songs. Andy Williams never got in the "Scrooge" act, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment