Sunday, January 17, 2021

“A Christmas Carol: The Musical” (2004) - Part 4


A few more thoughts on "A Christmas Carol: The Musical," the 2004 made-for-TV movie starring Kelsey Grammer as Scrooge.

One thing I feel compelled to mention is that the actual title (as shown above) is "A Christmas Carol" whereas almost everywhere else it's referred to as "A Christmas Carol: The Musical." This may be my most pithy comment, but here goes...

Like anything, it has its good and bad points, but I don't think the whole thing really clicks, especially in comparison to so many other versions.

As I mentioned before, I don't think the casting is entirely successful. I'm guessing that wanted some "name" actors with ostensible musical talent, which is how Jason Alexander and Jane Krakowski got in there, but I don't care for them here.


I think Kelsey Grammer is pretty good as Scrooge, but as with many actors, he's more convincing when he's mean, as he has something of an edge to him.


I like the idea of the three spirits having doppelgängers in the "real" world, à la the movie version of "The Wizard of Oz," but I'd rather have them not be random people whom Scrooge does not know.

They had done something similar in the "Shower of Stars" version from 1954. In that show, the Ghost of Christmas Past was Belle and the Ghost of Christmas Present was Fred, which I think works better.

Scrooge makes a big deal of carrying Tiny Tim around at the end, but I think the "Grace" character actually seems to have more of an impact on him, as far as kids go. She pops up in several scenes and Scrooge seems moved by her.

Compared to some other musical adaptations, such as Albert Finney's "Scrooge" and "Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol," I don't find the songs memorable at all. I can't really think of one right now, in fact!
Even "Shower of Stars" has that "A ve-e-e-ry, a Me-e-erry Christmas" earworm!

I like composer Alan Menken's songs for Disney features, so is it the lyrics by Lynn Ahrens that don't do it for me?

I don't mean to seem like I'm channeling Jason Alexander's sitcom by listing my grievances, but I guess I have a few!

It's not the worst thing ever, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a completist of a superfan of someone in the cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment