Friday, January 15, 2021

“A Christmas Carol: The Musical” (2004) - Part 2


As part of our discussion of "A Christmas Carol: The Musical" from 2004, let's take a look at the cast and how they do in their roles.

When one sees the likes of Kelsey Grammer, Jason Alexander and Jane Krakowski in the cast, one can expect some, shall we say, broad performances, and we get them!



I think Kelsey Grammer is a good choice to play Scrooge in a musical like this. He's got an edge to him and has a good voice. The makeup gives him a suitable Scrooge look. He's of course best-known for his role as "Frasier Crane" on the TV series "Cheers" and its long-running sequel "Frasier."



Jason Alexander is also best-known as a sitcom star, having been featured on "Seinfeld." He plays Marley's Ghost as well as a living version of Jacob Marley. I don't think he brings the needed gravitas to the role, however. He's no match for Scrooge. 

Maybe it's, but I have a hard time separating the nebbishy "George Costanza" element from Alexander's portrayal. Plus, Marley's Ghost looks too much like Beetlejuice!



I get an odd vibe from Jane Krakowski as the Ghost of Christmas Past. I'm not sure what she's going for, but it seems to me like she's giving Scrooge seductive glances or something! She kind of uses Scrooge's bedpost as a pole, if you know what I'm saying. I also think that her costume is too revealing, but what do I know?


The three spirits also appear as characters in "real time" and Scrooge encounters each of them at the beginning of the story in a "The Wizard of Oz" way. Jane Krakowski's other role is as the wife of a lamplighter, filling in of her sick husband. She sports an unconvincing Cockney accent for that role.



Jesse L. Martin is the Ghost of Christmas Present as well as a show promoter/ticket seller and I think he does a great job. He's a versatile performer and easily adapts to this part without making you think of him in other roles, such as on "Law & Order" or the current "The Flash" TV series.


The Ghost of Christmas Future (as she's referred to here) is played by Geraldine Chaplin, who also appears as a blind beggar in real time. She does a good job with what she has to work with.


The other "name" performer in the cast is Jennifer Love Hewitt as "Emily," the Belle character. She's in between her signature roles on the TV series "Party of Five" and "The Ghost Whisperer." This part of Scrooge's former fiancé is not a big one, but I think she's good in her couple of scenes and the period costumes and hairstyles suit her.



The only other name I recognize from the rest of the cast is Brian Bedford, who plays Fezziwig. I literally mean that I recognize his name, as I recall that he voiced the title role in the (I say underrated) Disney animated feature "Robin Hood"  from 1973!

He doesn't really look like the traditional Fezziwig, but he's fine, as is Claire Moore as Mrs. Fezziwig.



Turning to the Cratchit family, I think that Edward Gower as Bob Cratchit has an even less-conventional appearance. The little cap that he wears doesn't seem right to me somehow! He's OK, though.


I think Linzi Hateley is very good as Mrs. Cratchit.


It's always interesting to see how Tiny Tim works out and Jacob Moriarty is appealing here. As is often the case, he doesn't really look all that sick, but that's OK. He was 10 years old at the time and is now an accomplished musician at age 26 under the name Jacob Collier. He won a couple of Grammys last year and may do so again this year!

So, an interesting bunch is assembled here. What kind of a script did they get to work with?

No comments:

Post a Comment