Friday, December 4, 2020

"A Christmas Carol" All-Star Team - Day 4


As we put our All-Star team together, the next character we run across is young Scrooge's fellow apprentice: Dick Wilkins!

I find Dick Wilkins to be an interesting side character and always wondered what his backstory was (granted he's a fictional character).

All we now about him is what Scrooge says in the book:

“Dick Wilkins, to be sure!” said Scrooge to the Ghost. “Bless me, yes. There he is. He was very much attached to me, was Dick. Poor Dick! Dear, dear!”

What does he mean by that?

I recall that in some version, Scrooge says, "He died so young," or something to that effect, but I can't remember which one, and that would be non-canonical.

In any event, the most memorable representation of young Mr. Wilkins to me is Rich Little impersonating Gregory Peck from Rich's 1963 LP "Scrooge and the Stars."




I think it's awesome to have a spot-on imitation of a huge, Oscar-winning movie star in a throwaway bit!


No comments:

Post a Comment