Sunday, November 22, 2020

"Scrooge" - Lord Buckley (1960) - Part 2



If you got the chanced to listen to Lord Buckley's 1960 recording of "Scrooge," I'm sure you'll think it's at minimum... offbeat!
I'm not really sure what he was going for with his persona, but it was something different. I'm not sure if he was celebrating that culture or mocking it...

I see some inconsistencies in the recording date of the "Scrooge" cut, but ones that seem fairly reliable indicate 1960. Richard "Lord" Buckley passed away on November, 12, 1960, so this was a late recording for him.

It wasn't released until 1966, which I can understand, as the 1960 comedy album climate was ruled by the likes of Bob Newhart and his "Button-Down" humor, which was much more accessible to hi-fi owners and, I think, still holds up today. Newhart has a good delivery and funny lies.

Buckley's style is all delivery and doesn't involve punchlines

But, Lord Buckley still has a following, as he is a fascinating character.

I feel like we get some insight into him from his appearance on this 1956 episode of "You Bet Your Life" with Groucho Marx:



Two takeaways: That cat is wild, especially for 1956! And, he still can't put anything over on Groucho!

I presume this was an attempt to publicize Buckley's 1955 album with the extremely awkward title of "Hipsters, Flipsters and Finger-Poppin' Daddies Knock Me Your Lobes" with its awesome cover art by Jim Flora:


At any rate, an interesting nugget of pop culture history!

No comments:

Post a Comment