Thursday, November 19, 2020

Bonus Phil Moore!


The question from last time was whether we were done with Phil Moore. The answer of course is a resounding NO!

When I think of Phil Moore, I actually think of a couple of snappy WWII era songs that he wrote.

If you were to do word association thing with me and said, "Phil Moore," my answer would be "Shoo-Shoo Baby!"

That was a song sung by the Andrews Sisters in the movie "Three Cheers for the Boys" and their single of the song on Decca Records was a huge hit in 1944:


From my penchant for reading record labels and such, I knew that someone named Phil Moore had written this sing before I knew there was a group called the Phil Moore Four. I don't know how I ever found out anything in those dark, pre-Internet days!

I also like the song "I'm Gonna See My Baby" (also 1944) which I was familiar with by way of Johnny Mercer's version on Capitol Records, the flipside of his huge hit "Candy" (sung with the great Jo Stafford and the Pied Pipers):



Thanks to the Internet, I was finally able to hear Phil Moore's version of "I'm Gonna See My Baby" with the Phil Moore Four from his earlier stint on RCA Victor Records:


Phil's version is definitely jazzier than Johnny's big band record. I get a strong King Cole Trio vibe, which is a beautiful thing!

Here's "Billboard's" take:


Interesting to know it was his wax bow!

OK, we'll leave  Phil Moore alone for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment