Friday, April 24, 2020

Bonus Bransby!



A little bonus Bransby Williams...

This recording is an earlier version of the third part of Mr. Williams's Scrooge monologue, the "Awakening of Scrooge" part. A little shorter, but pretty similar.

It's definitely from an Edison cylinder, which I think is from 1905. It has the spoken introduction common to cylinders of that time. So, pretty early in the scheme of things!

Give it a listen:



I'm not sure how many recordings he made of this material and it's not easy to find out which is which.

Here's a British LP from 1952 on Decca Records. Are they new recordings or reissues? The liner notes refer to Mr. Williams as an octogenarian, which would seem to indicate these are freshly recorded. Maybe someday I'll get my mitts on a copy, then I'll know!



The more I listen to Bransby Williams, the more I think he sounds a bit like Lionel Barrymore. Did Lionel possibly find inspiration for his take on Scrooge from those old records? I guess we'll never know, but intriguing nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment