Monday, February 28, 2022

"An American Christmas Carol" (1979) - Part 5


So, what's the final verdict on "An American Christmas Carol," the 1979 TV-movie starring Henry Winkler?

I think it's pretty good for what it is, but I'm definitely more of a fan of relatively straight adaptations. you know, where it's actually Ebenezer Scrooge, not just a Scroogey character.

I do think it's interesting that Benedict Slade (not a bad name) is familiar with the story of "A Christmas Carol" and he does show more genre savvy (to use that term again) than Frank Cross, Bill Murray's character in 1988's "Scrooged," which "An American Christmas Carol" reminds of most.

There are so many parallels between Slade's and Scrooge's stories, however, that it stretched credibility a bit!

I think Henry Winkler does a good job and his old-age makeup looks pretty good to me, although at this late date, the surprise of seeing the Fonz made up to look old is long gone!

All in all, I'd say it's worth a watch, but I'm not sure if or when I'll watch it again.

I remember seeing it way back when it was new and it took me this long to watch it again. But if I'm still around in another 43 years, I definitely will watch it again!

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment