Saturday, February 26, 2022

"An American Christmas Carol" (1979) - Part 3


Now that we've discussed Henry Winkler's role as Benedict Slade in the 1979 TV-movie "An American Christmas Carol," let's take a look at the rest of the cast.

While watching this now, I'm kind of surprised that I hardly know anyone else in the movie, as the late 1970s is my meat as far as pop culture!

Then I realized that it was filmed in Canada, so most of the actors are Canadians that didn't really crossover to mainstream American moves or TV.

The biggest-name American import was David Wayne, who plays a bookstore owner named Merrivale, who also seems to double as the Ghost of Christmas Past for some reason. He's a solid pro and does a good job.

At that point in time. I was most familiar with David Wayne from his recent roles on the "Dallas" and "Ellery Queen" shows, but probably mostly as the Mad Hatter on a couple of two-part episodes on the "Batman" TV series!

Besides David Wayne and Henry Winkler, the only other actor I know is Dorian Harewood, who gets special billing and appears as a character whose possessions are repossessed by Slade on Christmas Eve, as well as the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Amusingly, the ghost appears in full 1979 mode!

Dorian doesn't get a lot to do here, but he does a good job with what he has to work with. He has a good presence and a great voice, so it's not surprising that he's done a lot of voicework over the years!

As I mentioned, I really don't recognize anyone else in the cast. I can't say that anyone made a particular impression on me one way or the other.

Next, we'll talk about the plot points!

No comments:

Post a Comment