Wednesday, September 2, 2020

More Harry Furniss!



I mentioned last time that I enjoyed the illustrations by Harry Furniss for the 1910 edition of "The Christmas Books," which naturally included "A Christmas Carol."

I especially enjoy the montages that present several scenes. The images I can find are not as sharp as would like, however.

I did come across the tinted image of a detail from the Fezziwig's ball plate, which is clearer and allows more detail to be seen:



I had pointed out that the illustrations were skewed toward the beginning of the book. I'm especially surprised that there ae none for the Christmas Present section. No Ghost of Christmas Present, no Tiny Tim, etc.

The cover of the book has little drawings of characters from all the stories within ("the Chimes," "The Cricket on the Hearth," etc.) and if you look closely, the top row contains some characters from "A Christmas Carol."



I think that's young Scrooge and Belle on the far right. Definitely Marley's Ghost next. Then we have Scrooge checking out the Ghost of Christmas Present with the Ghosts of Christmas Past and Yet to Come looking on! The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come seems out of character, curious about what's going on!

On the far right, we have Mrs. Cratchit brining in the pudding. I think that's Tiny Tim sitting next to Bob, but appearing to be behind him from our perspective. 

So some of the characters were not totally forgotten about!

The image at the top of the page is a self-portrait by Harry Furniss. But in this photograph below, doesn't he totally look like "Mr. French" (Sebastian Cabot)?





No comments:

Post a Comment