Monday, March 2, 2020

The Stingiest Man in Town (1978) - Part 5



A few more thoughts on the 1978 animated version  of "The Stingiest Man in Town" from the Rankin/Bass studio.

As must be obvious from earlier posts, I think this is a misfire on the whole. So, let's drive a few more nails in the coffin!

The first comp would be to the live performance of "Stingiest" from 1956. To me, that has a fun period charm, that this one doesn't have. And Basil Rathbone is well-suited to playing Scrooge, whereas Walter Matthau is not.

In my circles at least, Basil Rathbone is iconic, whereas Walter Matthau is "Oh, yeah, I remember him."

In the world of Rankin/Bass specials, this also does not rate highly. I think it has too many of the faults (generic character design, inconsistent animation) and few of the strengths (Animagic, well-cast vocal talent). And the narrator here gets in the way.

I really do think I would like this a lot better if it had been done with the stop-motion Animagic process. That's what makes Rankin/Bass specials, you know, special.

I might be going out on a limb to admit that I don't like "Frosty the Snowman" as much as some other R/B specials as it's done in traditional animation. But at least it has Jimmy Durante to save it! Here we get Mr. C.

As an animated musical adaptation of "A Christmas Carol," dare we compare it to "Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol?" Well, if we do, clearly "Magoo" is better. Neither "Stingiest" or "Magoo" seems remotely British, but "Magoo" gets away with it because it's presented as a Broadway show. And it's just better anyway!

There's something interesting in every version of "A Christmas Carol," and I always try to look at each version in context, but I also want to be entertained.

This one was more of a history lesson.

Am I being too harsh? Does this one have any defenders?


No comments:

Post a Comment