Sunday, November 20, 2022

"The Dicken's Christmas Carol" (1962) - Joe Basham - Icon Records




"The Dicken's Christmas Carol" (1962)
Joe Basham
Icon Records

Here's an oddity from 1962, odd punctuation and all:



It's odd, but I love finding obscure little nuggets like this!

I have no idea who Joe Basham was and can't find any info on him. I will says he tries his best to sell it, though!

The song reminds me of some other song that I can't quite put my finger on (I think it's mainly the "Ding! Dong!" part), but the songwriter is Bob Coulter and I don't think I've seen/heard that name before.

The flipside was also written by Bob Coulter and it's also a bit odd:



I keep throwing around the word "odd" here, but what perhaps strike me as oddest is that this is from 1962, per "Billboard" (Note that Icon Records is so obscure that "Billboard" gets their name wrong!):


So, who was this aimed at?

In 1962, it was generally kids that bought 45s and adults that bought LPs, and I don't think this would appeal to either.

If I were a teenager in 1962, I would much prefer this record, also listed as a new release in that same "Billboard" issue:




Ral Donner delivers the goods!



No comments:

Post a Comment