Tuesday, June 1, 2021

"Dickens' Dream" - R.W. Buss (1875)

I had mentioned that the two 1980s books we were just looking at each (seemingly coincidentally) included the same picture of Charles Dickens with their biographies of the author.

That picture is a well-known painting by British artist R.W. (Robert William) Buss entitled "Dickens' Dream":



It was an ambitious undertaking and was not finished when Mr. Buss passed away in 1875.

There are lots of characters from the works of Dickens included so naturally we look carefully to see if there are any represented from "A Christmas Carol."

And, indeed, in the top row, the last sketch on the right is Marley's Ghost visiting Scrooge:



This image seems familiar to me, but I can't think of the artist it swipes from off the top of my head. Something lese for me to think about!

A striking work, it's easy to see why this would pop up frequently when Charles Dickens is being discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment